Starting with a tiny Root Beer stand in California, a and w grew into the nation’s first franchise restaurant chain. In the process it popularized drive-in restaurants and made Root Beer Floats a nationwide – and international – treat. Even Marriott hotels traces its roots to A & W. One hundred years of history is, well, plenty of history. But here’s a good start.
1) A&W was founded on June 20, 1919 in Lodi, California, with the first mug of Root Beer served at a homecoming parade for World War I veterans; it had been the very first U.S. chain restaurant to expand to Southeast Asia (1963).
2) A&W Restaurants is more than sliced bread (1919 vs. 1928).
3) A&W invented the Original Bacon Cheeseburger in 1963 (invented by Dale Murder who became president and it is now chairman from the board).
4) A&W introduced Rooty the Great Root Bear as the mascot in 1973.
5) A&W Restaurants manufactured 150,000 glass mugs for 2019, saving approximately 180 paper cups per mug.
6) A&W Restaurants has raised over $800,000 for veterans-related charities since 2014.
7) California is home to probably the most A&W Restaurants with approximately 70 locations.
a. 2nd most: Wisconsin (approximately 50 locations)
b. 3rd most: Michigan (approximately 40 locations)
8) Gallons of theAndW Root Beer consumed in 2018 (domestic and international): 1,109,934
9) Pounds of Cheese Curds available in 2018 (U.S. only): 2,060,988
10) You will find nearly 1,000 A&W restaurants worldwide, with approximately 600 in the U.S.
On June 20, A&W took over as the first American restaurant chain to transform 100. The first frosty mug of Root Beer was served in Lodi, California in a parade honoring World War I veterans. “A&W includes a long history of supporting veterans,” said A&W CEO Kevin Bazner. “With this being our centennial year, National Root Beer Float Day is extra special.”
This is A&W’s seventh annual National Root Beer Float Day celebration as well as the third year it has partnered with DAV. A&W and DAV wish to raise $200,000 for the organization, which serves more than one million veterans annually. Fundraising began in late June. The $150,000 A&W raised for DAV in 2018 provided approximately $6 million in direct advantages to veterans.
“Our partnership having a&W is growing every year, and we truly appreciate its support for your ill and injured veterans,” said Marc Burgess, DAV National Adjutant and CEO. “The needs of our American heroes are xagtcr as great today as a hundred years ago, and that we are very pleased to again be employing aAndW on National Root Beer Float Day.”
Since 2013, A&W has raised a lot more than $800,000 for veterans groups during National Root Beer Float Day.
About A&W – America’s first and oldest restaurant chain, a&w still makes Root Beer fresh in each restaurant from real cane sugar, water as well as a proprietary combination of herbs, bark, spices and berries that are served in a frosty mug along side burgers, fries, chicken tenders as well as other All American Food® favorites. You will find nearly one thousand locations worldwide.